What is Wordle?
Wordle is a website for creating 'word clouds' from the texts which are inserted. This tool is more or less similar to WordSift but Wordsift only shows the 50 most frequent words appear in the texts inserted. Wordle, on the other hand, allows us to decide on the maximum number of words that appears in the word cloud.
How can teachers use Wordle?
Teachers may use this tool to in a reading lesson to students of different age, from primary school students to secondary school students, with different levels of English. I have provided here with an example of word cloud from the text called the 'The Dragon Rock' by Ellena Ashley.
- The font, the layout, and the colour of your clouds can be edited. More interesting.
- It can be printed out to be used in class.
- Can be saved into gallery, but once it is saved, it will go public.
- Introducing vocabulary to students.
- The maximum number of words can be decided.
- Can remove words which are not in English or any words that are not wanted.
- Can be used to practice multiple skills (reading, writing, and speaking)
- Very nice visual texts!
- Your clouds will go public once you save it. Not private.
- Small words are sometimes too small to be read.